Why I dislike the phrase 'lived experience'
So, on a merely tautological level, you could dislike 'lived experience' as a phrase because experience can't happen to you unless you were alive and present during it. It's an unnecessary extra qualification to call it 'lived', just like it would be to talk about a 'wooden log' or a 'frightening fright'.
But hey, language isn't always logical and why should this illogicity nark me more than any other? I mean, the very presence of the phrase '"I mean" is, like, as unnecessary as the word "like" which follows it in the same sentence. But you understood it and that's, like, the point of language, yeah?
So it can't be purely redundancy which gets up my nose. It has to be some other smell. I am reminded of the almost-as-irritating verbal tic that you hear when someone is giving you their opinion. Have you ever heard an opinion preceded by the words "Speaking as a X......". It doesn't really matter whether you are speaking as a concerned parent, card-carrying member of a particular party or loyal citizen of god-cares-where; the very need to tell me the person you are speaking as makes it feel like you have your thumb on one side of the scales and are pressing down to unbalance the argument in your favour (and it is always an argument).
You could instead just tell me what you think. Opinions are like arseholes, as the saying goes. We all have one and they all stink. And maybe it's the aroma of opinion that makes me object to 'lived experience'. Or maybe I'm just oversensitive to language. Which, speaking as a former lexicographer, you are obviously going to have to put up with. And did you like those two dangling prepositions?
And maybe someone's 'lived experience' is crying out to be treated as more important than your mere 'experience'. It reminds me so much of the other argument trope of having an implied plural subject behind your opinion rather than a singular one. Do you recognise these phrases:
"We all think you are doing the wrong thing...
"None of my friends have computer limits like this...
"Nobody takes those arguments seriously anymore.. .
I loved it when my badly-behaved stepson would reply to any "We" statement with: "Who's 'We'? Got a turd in your pocket?" Even if it was me who had said it. But he was right. If you have an opinion then you can't really think much of it of you aren't prepared to state it without rhetorical reinforcements.
So, please, pretty please, just tell me what your experience of something has taught you, not your lived experience. I'm all ears, honest.



Ah yes, dangling prepositions... 'up with which I shall not put'.
ReplyDeleteDrats, default is 'anonymous', but it's actually me.
ReplyDelete